Teen Travel Network
Sexual Harassment Policy
Learn more about Teen Travel Network's program policies
Sexual Harassment Policy
1. Purpose and Intent:
With this policy, TTN endeavors to unify the organization in standing firmly against sexual harassment; to educate all persons involved in our programs on guidelines for best practices regarding student and staff conduct, to prevent incidents from occurring, and to provide all staff and participants with a concrete plan of action should an incident occur.
2. Definition of Sexual Harassment:
Teen Travel Network’s definition of sexual harassment includes, but is not limited to repeated behaviors of a sexual nature that impairs an individual’s safety, wellbeing and ability to enjoy TTN programs. Anyone can be the victim of sexual harassment, regardless of gender, sexual identity, age or status. Sexual harassment comes in many forms and may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Unwelcome sexual advance or repetitive physical contact of any kind (hugging, kissing, patting, pinching, etc)
- Physical coercion of any kind
- Request for sexual favors with or without promise of reward or threat of punishment
- Seductive behavior or imposition
- Comments or actions which criticize a person based upon gender or sexuality
- Whistling or making animalistic noises towards an individual
- Repeatedly standing too close or brushing up against a person
- Giving gifts or leaving objects that are sexually suggestive
- Repeatedly asking a person to socialize after they have indicated disinterest
- Any sexual contact with a student participant or other minor
- Displaying sexually explicit pictures or other inappropriate electronic materials
- Making sexually suggestive or graphic comments about someone’s body
- Telling sexually suggestive or “dirty” jokes or stories
- Asking questions about sex life or similar personal topics
- Retaliating against an individual for complaining about the behaviors described above
- Program Staff Policies. Every staff member working with TTN will sign a document that acknowledges this policy and their role in implementing this procedure prior to working with students. This policy outlines banned practices that every staff member is expected to adhere to.
- Training of International and Local staff members: TTN will annually provide appropriate training for all staff and local partners both through webinars and in-person at Director’s Training.
- Dissemination to students: All participants will have the Policy explained to them verbally during the student orientation and students will have the opportunity to write down this information on their contact cards for reference should they need it.
4. Reporting Structure and Communication Framework:
Any person who believes they have been the victim of, or witness to, sexual harassment during a TTN program is encouraged to immediately report to at least one of the following designated entities:
- International Director
- Local Director
- Program Manager
- 24/7 Emergency Hotline (+1-858-529-9799)
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once reported, ANY person receiving the report, even if not listed above, must inform the Executive Director and Director of Programming at TTN immediately following the report.
- Any communication about this complaint or suspicion SHOULD NEVER be moved laterally and remain confidential between reporter and the entity receiving the report.
- All reported incidents will remain confidential and be reviewed immediately by the Executive Director and Director of Programming for risk assessment and immediate incident management.
5. Investigation Process:
- TTN will work to promptly investigate and address any reported matter within 24 hours of report. If the allegation is deemed credible, TTN will take immediate and effective measures to end the behavior, aid the victim, deeply investigate the report, and – depending on TTN’s authority in the matter – determine appropriate punishment for the perpetrator. TTN is committed to taking action if it learns of possible sexual harassment, even if the reporter does not wish to file a formal complaint.
- All reports of alleged sexual harassment will be held strictly confidential (unless reported to protective authorities and/or parents of minors). The reporting party’s explicit approval will be required, either verbally or in writing, unless such disclosure is mandated by law, prior to disclosure or investigation of the matter.
- TTN will serve as mandatory reporter, and where the gravity of the incident so demands, TTN will report to the appropriate government officials or Child Protective Services.
TTN prohibits retaliation against any individual who reports discrimination or harassment or participates in an investigation of such reports. Any attempt by a member of the TTN community to intimidate, penalize or threaten a person who reports, or who is cooperating in, a report of discrimination, misconduct, or harassment is strictly prohibited. Any person found to have participated in an act of retaliation will be disciplined accordingly.
Other Teen Travel Network Policies
Discover Teen Travel Network’s various program policies and statements of intent. Be sure to review each of these policies or statements before you participate in a TTN summer travel program:
- Program Policies Hub
- Animal & Wildlife Protection Policy
- Cell Phone Policy
- Child & Vulnerable Adults Protection Policy
- Code of Conduct
- COVID-19 Risk Management (FAQ)
- DEI Policies & Statements
- Essential Eligibility Criteria
- Refund Policy
- Risk Management Policy
- Sexual Harassment Policy
- Student Safety and Supervision Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Tuition Policy
- Water Safety Policy
Teen Travel Network
We're here to help!
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact our Admissions Team.